GGB RDU is back, baby! After a small hiatus, we celebrated our reboot at the new and extraordinary Alamo Drafthouse, surrounded by old horror posters and literally hundreds of VHS tapes and DVDs. About twenty brunchettes, both old and new, got together for delicious mimosas and spiked milkshakes to go with brunch.
We played movie trivia games where brunchettes had the chance to win fun prizes, including their own beautifully handmade Geek Girl Brunch Raleigh pixelated art, courtesy of Pixels by Elise.
We also talked about which reboots in the past were the best and worst —
- Which Spider-Man: Maguire, Garfield, or Holland? (Holland)
- Sabrina the Teenage Witch or The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina? (too close to call!)
- Best Legend of Zelda game? (Breath of the Wild)
- Best Godzilla movie? (Shin Godzilla)
- Best Star Trek TV series? (The Next Generation)
- 2004’s Fantastic Four or 2015’s FANT4STIC? (both were terrible)
Otherwise, we spent most of the brunch just getting to know each other, discussing upcoming reboots and remakes (so many live-action Disney movies!), and showing off many photos of our adorable fur babies. The brunch ended for many with a perusal of the DVDs and VHS tapes available for free rental through Video Vortex (you can even borrow a VCR!), plus all the sweet movie merch for sale.
We are just getting started and have barely scraped the surface! We have brunches, volunteer opportunities, and other get-togethers already planned. 2020 is shaping up to be a very geeky year for the Triangle!