Geek Girl Brunch Phoenix hosted its first brunch of the year at locally owned Pizza People Pub. Our theme was Mythical Creatures, and we were excited to kick off the year by making new geek friends.
We had a little more than 20 girls attend the brunch, and several chose to embrace the mythical creatures theme by wearing unicorn hats, trolls leggings, a mermaid skirt and faun ears among other beautiful accessories.
Pizza People Pub is not only a great lunch spot, but also we like going there because they are locally and family owned and have a variety of food options, including vegan. They were very accommodating, and let us take over a quarter of the restaurant.
When our brunchettes arrived, they were treated to some fun swag options:
- GGBPHX member Jennifer made delicious unicorn bark in individually wrapped packages for each attendee
- Officer Nicky brought beautiful vials of different mythical creature bits like “dragon scales,” “siren’s song” and “fairy dreams”
- Mermaid, unicorn or fairy buttons provided by Llama Talks
During brunch, our brunchettes talked, ate and colored Harry Potter postcard pages that included the mythical creature likenesses of the Centaur, Nagini, Crookshanks and Hedwig.
Then, before everyone left, we raffled off a mermaid blanket plus mythical creature soap and bath bombs from Leeloo Soap. Leeloo Soap provided:
- I’d Rather be a Unicorn and I’d Rather be a Mermaid sugar scrub cubes
- Under the Sea, Soapicorn and Soapsquatch soap
- Unicorn Dreams and Mermaid Wave bath bombs
This was some of the most fun swag we’ve had in a long time, and the raffle winners seemed pretty stoked with their prizes!
Most importantly, GGB Phoenix strives to fulfill Geek Girl Brunch’s mission to be a fun and inclusive place for geek women, so we encouraged everyone that if they made new friends at brunch to exchange social media handles.
Our next brunch will take place in mid-February at the Arizona Renaissance Festival. Huzzah!