Geek Girl of the Month – Robin
Here at Geek Girl Brunch we are proud of our many accomplished members and officers. That’s why we decided to start a new blog series called “Geek Girl of the Month”. Each month we will highlight an amazing member of our community with a special post.
This month, we have chosen Robin from GGB Nottingham! Robin was nominated by GGB member Kelly.
Bio: Robin French is a storyboard artist and illustrator from Nottingham. She’s worked on several children’s shows for Disney Junior, and also on several of the LEGO games.
Robin’s Site: Sketchrobin
How did you start/get involved with your project?
– I got into drawing as a kid because my older brother was always better at it than me. I think I won that particular sibling rivalry. Storyboarding was something I wanted to do almost as soon as I discovered what it was; I was very passionate about both animation and comics, and it seemed like an excellent midpoint between the two.
What motivates you?
– I love helping tell stories with positive messages for kids. I know how much I was shaped by media I grew up with, and being a part of that for the next generation is great. I also get to work with really excellent, supportive people, which is inspiring.
Tell us about an obstacle, or obstacles you had to overcome to get to where you are.
– Oh, so many… And so many still to go, I think! As an artist, I think there’s always this feeling like you’re not good enough, like there’s always someone better. But you don’t need to be the best at something to still really enjoy it, which is what’s most important.
What do you hope to achieve in the future?
– I’d love to finish more personal projects! Right now I’m working on a little videogame, so I’m looking forward to getting that done – there’s plenty of short films and comics I’d like to make too! One thing at a time…
Who is your role model?
– I am in constant admiration of the writers of Steven Universe. I’d love to be able to create something with so much kindness and positivity.
What’s your secret superpower?
– I make really good vegan pancakes. They’re way better than regular pancakes. And I will fight you if you try to tell me otherwise.
Favorite tip for self motivation/productivity/organizing etc.
– I work from home, so self-motivation is pretty important – but my dog is pretty great for making sure I get up at the right time! She doesn’t have a snooze alarm. Other than that, I have a really obnoxious planner diary which is so pink and sparkly and covered in mermaids that I will never lose it.
How did you hear about GGB?
– I saw a flyer for the Nottingham chapter at the National Videogame Arcade here in Nottingham. The flyer had Batgirl on it and I was immediately invested.
What do you enjoy most about GGB?
– It’s awesome hanging out with people who have such a great range of interests. They’re really kind and fun people to be around. Also, brunch is definitely the most important meal of the day!
Do you have any words of wisdom for your fellow GGBrunchers?
– All-nighters are severely overrated. Get some sleep.
Thanks Robin for being apart of Geek Girl Brunch and letting us feature you in this blog series!
If you would like to nominate yourself or a fellow GGB member to be our next Geek Girl of the Month, then simply send an email to the main site with the subject “GGB of the Month”. In the body of the email please give a brief description of your project and any links, or the name and info for the brunchette you’re nominating, so we can get in touch with her.